By Pure NZ Dental Team
Orthodontic treatment began in the 17th and 18th century when people began to move their teeth for various reasons. It was only in the 70’s and 80’s when the brackets and wires that we see today were designed and implemented for orthodontic treatment.
Today in Singapore, we are spoilt for choices when it comes to choosing which type or orthodontic system to suit our lifestyle and budget.
Let’s explore the key differences between these two popular treatment options, including cost, materials, effectiveness, and before-and-after aesthetic appeal. By comparing Invisalign to traditional braces, specifically ceramic braces, self-ligating braces, Damon braces and metal braces, we will help you make a better-informed choice.
- Invisalign or Clear Aligners (CA)
- Traditional Braces: Exploring Options
- Comparing Invisalign and Traditional Braces– 4 Things You Need to Know
1. Invisalign or Clear Aligners (CA)
Invisalign was the first Clear Aligner system and they have revolutionized the field of orthodontics by offering a discreet and convenient solution for teeth straightening. Instead of using metal brackets and wires, Invisalign employs a series of clear, removable aligners custom-made for each patient. These aligners gradually shift the teeth into their desired position, offering a comfortable and virtually invisible treatment experience.
Brands such as TrioClear, Wondersmile, ClearCorrect, Zenyum and Aurora, just to name a few, are all clear aligner systems that can be accessed in Singapore.
One of the significant advantages of Clear Aligners is its aesthetic appeal. Most individuals appreciate the incognito nature of Clear Aligners.
This system has become the norm in treating most adults with orthodontic needs. The choice is simple and easy. Firstly, patients don’t need to give up their favorite food, or stop the physical activities they love like football, basketball, MMA and boxing. This is because they could still wear a mouthguard whilst doing their clear aligner treatment. Whereas with traditional braces, they are unable to wear a mouthguard as the wires and brackets will get in the way!
Although Invisalign is still the most popular choice, there are many other brands that are available.
2. Traditional Braces: Exploring Options
- Ceramic Braces: For those seeking a more subtle appearance compared to traditional metal braces, ceramic braces are an excellent option. They feature tooth-colored or clear brackets, making them blend in with your natural teeth. However, ceramic braces may be slightly more visible than Invisalign due to the presence of brackets and wires. Also, they cost more than traditional stainless-steel type and they tend to fracture easily if the patient is careless with what they eat!
- Self-ligating Braces: Self-ligating braces are like traditional braces, but they utilize special brackets that do not require elastic or metal ties. While self-ligating braces are not as inconspicuous as Invisalign, they offer a more streamlined look than traditional metal braces. However, studies have shown that there is no difference treatment duration compared with traditional braces.
- Metal Braces: Metal braces are the most common and traditional orthodontic treatment option. They consist of metal brackets that are bonded to the teeth and connected by wires. This method is often preferred by Orthodontists as most of them are trained with it during their post-graduate studies. Orthodontists prefer to control the teeth’s movement better by using different types of arch-wires, bracket positioning, elastics and springs.
3. Comparing Invisalign and Traditional Braces– 4 Things You Need to Know
- COST: In Singapore, price of Invisalign may vary depending on the complexity of your case and the provider you choose. While not always the cheapest, Invisalign treatment tends to be more expensive than traditional braces. Do make sure to consider the affordability of your treatment at the beginning.
- EFFECTIVENESS: Both Invisalign and traditional braces are effective in addressing a wide range of orthodontic issues, including overcrowding, spacing, and misalignment. However, traditional braces are typically considered more effective for complex cases that require significant movements or surgical correction.
- TREATMENT DURATION: The duration of treatment varies depending on the severity of the orthodontic issues. Invisalign treatment may be faster for minor to moderate cases, whereas traditional braces may be required for more complex cases. Typically, the treatment duration could be as short as 6 months or even as long as 3 years or more, depending on the complexity of the case. For Invisalign or Clear Aligners, patient’s discipline of wearing the aligners is paramount for the success of the treatment. The aligners must be worn at least 20-22 hours a day for it to be effective. As for traditional braces, the wires are stuck on, so it works 24/7. Both systems require a regular 1-3 monthly follow-up with the dentist.
- COMFORT & CONVENIENCE: Invisalign or clear aligners are removable, allowing you to eat, brush, and floss with ease. Traditional braces require more caution when consuming certain foods and maintaining oral hygiene. Invisalign aligners are generally more comfortable, as they do not have sharp brackets or wires that may irritate the gums and cheeks.
4. Invisalign vs. Traditional Braces?
Choosing between Invisalign and traditional braces ultimately depends on your specific orthodontic needs, preferences, and budget.
Invisalign offers a discreet, comfortable, convenient and hygienic option. It is best suited for the working professionals who want straighter teeth, without sacrificing their lifestyle and choice of diet.
At Pure NZ Dental clinic, we have the expertise and professionalism to provide safe Invisalign and Traditional Braces treatments. Contact our clinic at Bukit Timah, near to the Beauty World MRT Station at +65 64630257 or email@example.com to get a detailed price list of our services.